I picked up this book thinking: “This book is about trees and what would happen if they were all gone. I’m a tree hugger. I should love this book and hopefully it will go onto my top “ten” list.”
But of course, what was I expecting? When I get my hopes up for something I usually plummet down, especially if I begin to over think about it.
All the trees are destroyed. ;(
Let us have a moment to remember all the dead trees.
So, all the trees are dead. So how are we going to breathe?! The government sets up a building called the Pod, and only those who are extremely useful, or extremely lucky are able to get into it and survive, the rest kinda just dig themselves a hole and die.
Our story follow the two people called Bea and Quinn. They live within the Pod, Quinn is a Premium and Bea is an Auxilliary. The premiums are basically the rich and posh people.
One day Quinn takes Bea outside the Pod on a camping trip (they have to take air tanks), but as they are going out they meet this girl called Alina who belongs to a rebel group, who asks for their help. So of course, Quinn being the type of guy who falls in love with every girl he meets, decides to help her.
After some pages, they all eventually get out. And the rest of the story is about how they meet the rebel group then get kicked out then try to find it again.
I hate writing bad reviews, so over this Cons section I’m just going to write short sentences to get it over with quickly.
It was all too fast. I never thought I would say that. I love fast books, but I guess this one was just too much about the plot, and not enough about the characters or their world. To put it bluntly, so I can move on; I didn’t like the writing.
The Character Development
Nada. Meaning nothing (I just like the word). I mean, I guess there was some, but it all seemed a little forced, as in Crossan only did it for the sake of it, rather than doing it because she wanted them to change and act from their experiences. Like when Quinn suddenly “falls in love with Bea”…
I think I had a problem with all of them… But to save me getting all depressed from writing a bad review, I’ll just do a few.
Alina; I think she was slightly better than the others, but I still found her annoying, especially with the Abel “dying ” thing, and that “mystery” that surrounded him; I mean, it was quite obvious that he was probably a spy… but she still doesn’t believe it because she’s in “love” with him…
Quinn; As I said before he’s the type of idiot to fall in love with any pretty girl he meets. It’s just so shallow… and stupid… and but making him the main character, it’s in a way encouraging this in the world
Bea; Quinn effectively kills her parents, and because she’s so “blinded with love” refuses to see it. How can she seriously love a shallow dumb ass more than her parents?
Petra; I respected her. She loved trees. But in the end she was stupid.
I’m a tree hugger. Of course I’m going to have a section on this.
They are just so important and just so amazing and I love them so much. Without them 90% of us would die, and the other 10% would live in a Pod where the government would plan to imprison us there for the rest of our lives. And by the time we realised their importance, it will be too late… ;( and if we don’t die of oxygen levels, we’ll die from global warming and climate change.
It was the main thing that kept me reading. It was good. 🙂
- “Outside they unearth conspiracy on a breathtaking scale” It’s a pun! Get it?!
- “All the millions and millions of stars remind me, too, how small and fragile I am. And unimportant, really. If this branch were to creak and moan and break under my weight, and I were to plummet to the ground, the stars in the sky would continue to decorate the world. And even if the last tree disappears from our planet, the stars will still be up there. Flickering their goodnights”
- “In another world I think we would have been friends, son”
I like it. I did not love it. I wish I did love it. I love trees. But I don’t Love this book. I only like it. You may love it. You may not.
If you like books that are all about the plot and not about the characters, you may love it.
3 Shuriken Stars. Would be 5, if the writing was better and would be 2, if I was not a tree hugger.