Because this is a short story this is going to be a short review! (I feel like such a rebel, starting a sentence with because! :D). This book is the short story prequel to the chaos walking series, by Patrick Ness (which if you haven’t read my review for those books THEY ARE AMAZING!!!! THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!!)
IF YOU HAVEN’T READ THOSE BOOKS READ THEM NOW!!! STOP READING THIS REVIEW AND GET YOUR HANDS ON THE SERIES!!!
OK. My rant is over! Actually… maybe not quite… I will probably ramble a bit over this review! To be completely honest, I’m really not sure how I’m going to write this review… so again, I’ll probably ramble… I think I’m rambling now…
Anyway, as I said, this book is the prequel to the Knife of Never Letting Go and that series, it is a really short story, and I think, it can be found on Patrick Ness’ website!- I’ll put in a link at the end of this review! I personally would recommend you to read this book after reading the Knife of Never Letting Go, as after you have read that book, you kinda get a bond with the characters, so the book just seems so much better, and so much more heart- wrenching… 😦
This short story is about Viola, in the scout ship and the settler ship… It basically tells her story from her departure from the settler ship to when she crashlands! (This is probably why you need to read the Knife of Never Letting Go first, otherwise you will have no idea who these people are…). It focuses on her and her parents and also a little on her settler life; including Bradley!!! (HE IS AWESOME!!!). And as you know… the scout ship crashes… so her parents die 😦 and it is just so sad!!!, because of the way Viola treated them, just before they died… But anyway, I’ll let you find the rest out for yourselves!
- “‘Fire,’ he said. ‘The ability to make fire at will. It allowed us light to see in the darkness, warmth against the cold, a tool to cook our food.’ He gestured vaguely in the direction of the Delta’s engines. ‘Fire is what eventually led to travel across the black beyond, the ability to
start a new life on a New World.’”
- “Hope. That’s all anyone ever talked about on the convoy, especially as we got closer. Hope, hope, hope.”
- “‘I’ll take it,’ I say. ‘I’ll take your hope. I’ve got it, okay? Mum?’
But I don’t know if she hears me-
Because her hand isn’t gripping back any more.”
- “Start it to give a light against the darkness”
- “And so I sit in front of Bradley’s fire, on the surface of a dark, dark planet, and I have their hope, if not any of mine.Except the hope that it’ll be enough.”
What can I say? Only to read this book and this series; because IT IS AMAZING!!! YOU WON’T REGRET IT!!! AMAZING!!! If you still need to ask; 5 shuriken stars! I would however, recommend you to read this short story after you have read the Knife of Never Letting Go, as it may not make too much sense otherwise… but it doesn’t matter too much whether you read this book after or before the other books in the series! You just need to read this book sometime in your life; or YOUR LIFE WILL NEVER BE COMPLETE! 😀
The New World: PDF file: